oh dear, oh dear, it’s that time of year but yet again! the holidays are over, christmas has come and gone, and what is there to look forward to! summer holidays i suppose, but they do seem such a long time away.
anyway, i must confess that at the moment, even the thought of a holiday horrifies me, because after my over-indulgence during the festive season, the last thing that i want to be doing is even more eating and drinking.
so, if there is nothing to look forward to for now, and we are in the midst of the january depression, what on earth can we do to lift ouselves out of the blues at this time of year!
here’s one thought for you, start right now and get fit. i suggest that not only will that make you feel heaps better, after a few weeks, you will even start to look forward to that summer vacation. let me give you another more serious and compelling reason for this, and that is that we all shoud start to take our long term health much more seriously than we do at present.
at least that is my humble opinion.
did you know for instance that current statistics reveal that 75% of americans are overweight and 40% are obese. that is just in the us, and i am prepared to hazard an educated guess that the rest of the developed world is not far behind.
for those who desire to lose weight and obtain optimal health therefore, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out where to start.
from the atkins diet to the south beach diet, from low fat to low carb diets, there are numerous weight–loss plans to choose from. in addition, given conflicting information as to what works best, it can be difficult deciding what to do.
for those who have tried many diet plans with no success, it becomes more difficult and frustrating. many people forget that a diet might work wonders for their friend but won’t work well for them. this is not necessarily because the diet is “bad”, but because each body reacts differently.
however, there is a way to lose weight that is easy, fast, and doesn’t involve deprivation or calorie counting.
at the start of any diet, it is important to note that each person has a different body build. some people are short and stout, while others are tall and thin. some have big hips and shoulders, and others are short and very muscular. genetics can determine body shape and a person’s natural build just as it can do eye color, hair color, skin color, and so on.
the good news is that genetics do not determine whether or not one will be fat, but will determine one’s body shape.
this means that not every woman can expect to be tall and thin like a hollywood actress or supermodel such as tyra banks. not every man can expect to be defined and muscular like the rock. the goal really, in my opionion, is to be at a comfortable weight for one’s body shape and to feel good about it.
having said all that, why is it that people are overweight! i have listed ten of the most common reasons below:-
1. slow metabolism – people who are overweight have a hard time “burning off” their intake of food. as a result the fat is stored up in the body, rather than used.
2. emotional eating – those who struggle with weight often eat when stressed, or when other emotional upheavals are happening in their life.
3. hormonal imbalances – this does mainly apply to the ladies, (complex creatures that we are!).
4. eating portions – we can all be guilty of the syndrome that i like to call “greed not need”. so watch out for those portion sizes.
5. a build up of toxins in the body – this can be due to too much junk food, candies, sodas, too much coffee, these can all contriubute to this.
6. eating too late – late-night eating can cause food to convert to fat a lot more easily, as well as making sleep more difficult.
7. a high susceptibility to growth hormones – these are the hormones which are given to animals to help them grow faster and larger. some meat and dairy can have some residual growth hormones. these hormones can sometimes result in increased fat storage.
8. not eating breakfast – this really does make your metabolism slow and sluggish.
9. numerous diets – going from diet to diet has a negative impact on the metabolism and causes weight loss to be much more difficult.
10. food ingredients – the reasons why are amazing and beyond the scope of this article.
here are seven simple steps for easy weight loss
#1: drink some water first thing in the morning. ideally you should drink eight ounces of distilled water, bottled water, or filtered water (not tap water).
#2: eat a big breakfast. suggested foods to choose from are apples, bananas, rye bread with no sugar, plain yogurt, tuna, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, raw honey, and such like.
#3: drink distilled water throughout the day: i recommend that you try and drink at least eight glasses per day.
#4: walk non-stop one hour each day. this doesn’t have to be power walking, just walk at your own pace. walking is one of the best forms of exercise you know!
#5: try and stop eating after 6:00 pm. this is very hard for many people, but do the best you can. you will be surprised at how much you benefit from this.
#6: do a candida cleanse. candida is yeast overgrowth in the colon that can cause all kinds of health problems. check online for “candida cleanse” or go to your local health food store.
#7: do a colon cleanse: this cleanse cleans out the digestive system, which is clogged and sluggish in many overweight people. once again, check online or go to your local health food store.
more and more people worldwide are becoming overweight. extra weight can result in many health issues and negatively impact your emotional state and self-esteem. however for those struggling with this problem, there is hope, because you can lose it and keep it off if you really want to.
now that you have a understanding of body genetics and why you might be overweight, why not take some positive action today!
commit to trying at least a few of the steps, you will be glad that you did.